Pages

Monday, October 31, 2011

Winter Is Upon Us!

So here I am, sitting in my dorm room on Halloween night after some homework done and a long day of classes. However, today my mom, who is a school nurse, and sister Devon, who is an art teacher, were back home in cozy Worcester, Massachusetts enjoying the first snow day of the year. Wait, WHAT!? It's only October! I couldn't believe it when my mom told me that many parts of Massachusetts had received almost a foot of snow yesterday. On top of it all, much of the state's population has been without power for over 24 hours. Again, it's only October. I was very disappointed that up here in Vermont, where there is supposed to be tons of snow, got nothing more than a dusting Saturday night that had melted by Sunday morning. Bummer!

The winter season is one of the big reasons I chose to come to school here at St. Mike's. Let's put it this way, I love snow. As I have mentioned many times before, I am an avid snowboarder. Everything about it is amazing to me. being here in Vermont, the winters are pretty brutal at times, but they produce massive amounts of snow.

UPDATE: My mom just called, and yet another snow day for her tomorrow. UGH!!

Anyways, if you are a skier or snowboarder, you would love going to school up here. Some of the best mountains on the east coast are a short drive away. My favorites are Jay Peak and Smugglers' Notch. Both mountains offer some incredible terrain, and the best glades you can find out east. I'm not much of a park guy, so most of my time is spent in the glades where I can find some fresh powder. Nothing like the feeling of getting first tracks on a foot or two of new snow. It's like you're floating!

St. Michael's has a deal with Smugglers' Notch that allows students to purchase a season pass for $30. That's right, $30. I can guarantee you will never find a better deal. Even if you don't buy the pass and decide to go skiing once you will end up paying more than you would with buying a season pass. So, buy the pass! I don't have any classes on Thursdays this semester, so hopefully once we get some snow up here I'll be able to get some early season turns in. Fingers crossed!

 I'm still looking forward to our first major snow storm. I'm predicting a nice 2 footer...

No comments:

Post a Comment